There’s not much worse than smelling something awful and realizing that a skunk has either sprayed you or your pet, and tracked the smell into your home or yard. Take a look at our tips for the do’s and don’t of easily getting rid of the smell, and more importantly, how to prevent the skunk smell in the first place.
DON’T: Don’t be fooled by some of the popular remedies for removing skunk spray from your dog. Here are reasons they don’t really work:
- Tomato Juice: It may cut through the skunk’s spray oils, but you but there will still be a stink and you may end up with some pink stains.
- Vinegar and Water: All this really does is mask the skunk smell with the slightly milder smell of vinegar.
- Professional Odor Removers: While these will work a little better than tomato juice or a vinegar and water mixture, they are all chemicals and won’t completely remove the skunk smell.
DO: Mix together one quart hydrogen peroxide, a quarter cup baking soda, and a teaspoon of liquid dish soap. This formula doesn’t have any harmful chemicals and can be used safely on your clothing, your pets and yourself. Make sure to use the mixture immediately after combining because the mixture might expand and can burst if contained in a closed container.
- Use fresh hydrogen peroxide, not a bottle that’s been sitting around for a while for the most effective results.
- The solution can have a mild bleaching effect on some materials, so make sure to test any fabric or materials before using. Similarly, your dog’s fur may lighten because of the solution. It should go back to normal over time.
DO: Prevent skunks from spraying in the first place! Shake-Away Skunk Repellent keeps small animals like skunks away easily, naturally and safely, guaranteed! Don’t bother using messy spray applicators for commercial chemical repellents. Just sprinkle the Skunk Repellent granules right from the applicator lid in and around the areas you want to keep skunk-free. Shake-Away is organic and OMRI approved. It is safe to use around children, plants and pets. What’s in it? Simple: the territorial marking tool (urine) of the skunk’s most feared predator, the fox.
Shake-Away Skunk Repellent: Natural, easy, safe and guaranteed! Learn more and get yours today at: http://www.critter-repellent.com/skunk/skunk-repellent